"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, April 17, 2009

Killing Him Softly...With Fruit

For the record, I have no recollection of hearing that grapes are bad for dogs.

OK. Maybe a slight recollection, but I think in my mind it was related to it being a choking hazard, much the same way that I would never give a baby a nice, esophagus-sized grape...or steak that wasn't cut into tiny pieces.

That's why I gingerly sliced the grapes in half for Cheddar, the 11-month-old Maltipoo. (A Maltipoo is a mix between a poodle, a maltese, and evidently a barking, pencil-eating banshee.)

My girls then shared that I was killing our puppy, acting as if everyone knows not to feed dogs grapes or chocolate or battery acid.

So far, no vomiting, no diarrhea. He just has this curious look in his eyes like, "What? You feed me grapes but neglect to fan me with palm fronds?"

I'll get right on that Cheddapatra. (Get it? Cheddar + Cleopatra?) Moving on...

So Cheddar's almost a year old, and everyone says we have maybe a whole other year to go before he's done being a puppy and doing puppy things. I think Cindy's ready for him to be old. One of those old, faithful dogs who just curl up and lay on the couch for 27 hours a day and only get up in order to fetch the remote control or to make you a margarita.

How long till Cheddar reaches that stage? Anyone?

11 comments:

Heather said...

I read that about the grapes not too long ago. Of course, it was after my mother fed my dog a ton of them. He never got sick...so now I'm curious if they're as bad for dogs as they say they are.
I've also heard that macadamia nuts are bad for them. But if mine can digest all the strange things he finds in the yard to eat, surely nothing will hurt him.

Becca said...

oh my word. I am still waiting for my dog Charli (she's almost 2) to get there . . . she drives me crazy!!!

Amanda said...

I really didn't know that grapes could hurt a dog. Does that tidbit of information count if your dog eats legos, masonry bricks, planks from the fence (including the nails), small animals, and the fluff from the blankets inside her crate? I'd be absolutely floored if grapes were the one thing that took her out.

DidiLyn said...

I think it depends what breed of dog. Some dogs are born old (think mastiffs) some are forever puppies.(Boxers) Maybe ask your breeder. In a nice way.
We usually don't feed the dogs anything we want to keep for ourselves. i.e. "Don't give Chopper that Bud Lite...it's bad for dogs." Like that.

Debbie said...

I found out about grapes first hand. When our Shichon was 3 months old, I gave her a small snippet of a grape. I didn't know what was wrong with her. She acted crazy. She bounced off of the walls (literally). When I could hold her down, her heart was beating really fast. I put her in her crate to try to calm her down. Luckily, the next day she was still alive and calm. I did not make the connection until 2 or 3 days later when I read that grapes are poisonous to dogs.

Tammy said...

I dunno, but I've got a 13 1/2 year old lab that sleeps 27 hours a day. I wonder how long it will be before she learns to make me a margarita??

All the Arnold's said...

I just want to know if you can define "banshee" without looking it up.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

With all the pencils he has digested, I think he'll get lead poisoning before grapes take him out. Why isn't ANYONE commenting that it will only be a short time until he sleeps all day?

Tana said...

grapes can cause renal failure, says my sister the vet. and i really had to laugh at the definition of a maltipoo.

Staci said...

My vet says that dogs are puppies until they're about 18 months old. Then they're okay, until right at 2 years old, and they are a puppy again for a couple of months, then they are okay for the rest of their life. I guess that 2-year-old thing is kind of a mid-life crisis or something.

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

I just read about this too...why though?????? Raisins too.