"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Sunday, April 19, 2009

Short Order Cook

There are many responsibilities that weren't in the contract you signed at the hospital when your babies entered the world.

But you gladly take them on. Because it's not like anyone tried to trick you into this thing called "Parenthood" (except for instances documented on Lifetime Televison For Women Who Thrive On Fear And Anxiety).

The most recent duty I've encountered has been working the concession stand at the local ball field.

Our girls had their first game today. Shelby and Brynne are on the same team, and they each got on base with hits at every at-bat. I'm so very proud of both them. Hits, runs, RBIs gallore.

Cindy happened to be out of town with Cassie for a Moms/Daughters Conference, but thanks to the wonders of cell phones and text-messaging, I was able to receive no fewer than 59 reminders to take sun screen to the game. Not only did I take it, I EVEN remembered to apply it!

After the game was concession stand time for the parents of the Members' Choice Credit Union Chargers. (Don't you love the name "Chargers" for a team sponsored by a financial institution?)

All of this is just a roundabout way for me to brag about my ability to serve chili dogs, nachos, burgers, pretzels, snow cones, popcorn, pop (or soda depending on where you live), and ring pops.

PLUS, when we closed up shop, I was able to take home the last of the BBQ Pork for the girls. It was enough for two sandwiches, and it had been baking in the bottom of that crock pot all day, all dried out and hardening, so my girls aptly called them "Pork Jerkey Sandwiches." The leftover pretzels were likewise hard, but I just get those to lick the salt off anyways.

So just holler if you need a caterer for your next big event! I think Pork Jerkey Sandwiches would be great for your son's bar mitzvah.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

The Food Network is looking for you. Can they call?

Tammy said...

I'm e-mailing Bobby Flay... it's time for a Pork Jerky throwdown!