"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Saturday, May 2, 2009

"The Tale Of Swift City"

Kids can be so frustrating sometimes.

Amazingly, they can hop in the car with 20 or more items, but when you get home, they hop out and only take 2 of those things with them. So if you are familiar with math and the laws of physics, then you can calculate that there are exactly 762 items left in the back seat.

Invariably, when it's time for bed, they will want one of those all-important items.

For example, last night Cassie asked me if I would go out to my car to get "The Tale of Swift City" for her. Incredulous at her laziness (after all, it's taken me 38 years to master my laziness techniques), I asked, "Why don't you get it yourself? Are you incapable of walking out to a car?"

Her response was, "I don't know how to get it." Whatever that means.

I wasn't in the mood to give my smart alec daughter lessons on how to walk to a car, open the door, dig through the 762 items and carry back the book she was looking for. In the same amount of time it would take to belittle her and make me a bad dad, I could just go out and get the book myself.

So I marched out, making sure I sighed loudly enough to be heard across the house. I found at least 12 books in the back seat. We had gone to the library the night before, because they desperately "needed" more books or "we will die." After finding all their life-saving books in the back of the car, I wondered how any of them had survived the night.

Anyway, her requested book was not there. I told Cassie, "I found a dozen other books, but not 'The Tale of Swift City.' " This was spoken with the added visual effect of smoke coming out my ears.

She peeled her eyes off the TV and grinned really big at me.

"The Taylor Swift CD," she chuckled.

Oh, I knew right where that was.
Among the 762 items that I've left in the front seat.

5 comments:

AmyG said...

LOL, sounds just like my girls. Only I'm a lot meaner & make my oldest go get her own stuff. Well, not at night, because she is only 7, I make her wait til morning.

HootieMama said...

I feel your pain!

I am just so thankful to see that you are still alive after yesterday's post!! ;-)

Becky K. said...

It isn't just our kids that can't seem to carry anything in????

Yay!

It is good to not have to suffer alone.

Funny story.

Kari said...

LOL! That is so funny.

All the Arnold's said...

I love when Cassie grins!