"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I Have Created A Middle Schooler

She's been 13 years in the making, and now in 7th grade, we've decided to unleash her more fully on the world. (World, beware.)

The unleashing begins about 7:30 am when I drive her to school. The school is only one minute from my office, so it's totally super-convenient...EXCEPT FOR THAT 7:30 AM part.

I know some of you are morning people, and to you, 7:30 sounds late. By that time, many of you have shaved, showered, dressed, read 18 chapters of Leviticus, made eggs benedict, mowed the lawn, updated your Christmas card list and completed 7 Sudoku puzzles.

But for me, a 7:30 am departure means my Pop-Tart doesn't getted popped and I haven't shaved my head in like a week!

However, I find that my Popless-Tarts and my stubbly scalp are all worth it when I pull into that quaint piece of the American experience known as the school drop-off line. It thrills my heart to try to come up with new embarrassing things to holler out as she exits the car.

"Don't forget! There's a change of underwear in your lunch bag!"

"If you get stuck in your locker, don't worry. We'd miss by noon tomorrow and come looking for you."

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. If all goes well, she'll be begging to ride the bus to school in no time, and I'll be back to going to work at a respectable hour.

5 comments:

Becky K. said...

Back to school...fun!

How blessed your daughter is that you would drive her to school.

I am just trying to enforce that three kids roll out of their beds, dress, eat and are "waiting eagerly" for me to teach them by 9am. Ahhh... the life of homeschoolers. But with two teenage boys this is not as easy as it sounds.

Becky K.

Tasha said...

Haha! Yeah, I wish I only had to get up by 7:30! They have to BE at school by 7:25, and if they ride the bus I have to have them at the stop by 7!

Marie said...

Welcome back! Seriously dude, welcome back!!

"Oh wait honey, you forgot to give ole dad his morning hug!"

It's a classic!!

Hugs,
Marie
p.s. I love exclamation points!!!

rthling said...

Yes, being a homeschool family helps perpetuate my not-a-morning-person image.
We try to get up by 7, but so far this school year, that's only happened 5 or 6 times.

David said...

So THAT'S why your car has been in the parking lot so early at work! The last few mornings when I've pull in to see your car there, I've been wondering WHY you were there so early - now I know!