"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Tale Of Two Hospital Stays

Today I had two friends/coworkers in the hospital.

One gave birth to a bouncy baby boy.

The other gave birth to a...well, I guess "gave birth" is not the proper term, but she had her gall bladder removed.

Now, I've had four babies, so I can relate to the whole birthing experience of the one friend. All the running to refill the ice-chip cup, the waking up every once in a while to hit "skip" on the CD player when it got to a particularly disturbing song, and let's not forget the important role of giggling into the bend of my elbow (more sanitary than into my hands) when the midwife at the hospital had my wife rocking on an enormous bouncy ball. So I know what you've been experiencing, Schmeejay and Schmirston (names have been changed in case they were wanting to keep the pregnancy a secret).

My other friend Schmemily's procedure (ironically, that's her actual name), on the other hand, is shrouded in mystery in my eyes. I'm full of questions like "will you bring home the gall bladder in a jar?" and "when do you get fitted for the wooden prosthetic gall bladder?"

I do know that she won't be able to lift objects more than 15 pounds for a while. Fortunately, her dog is a chihuahua and weighs approximately negative 12 ounces, so she's good there. Except for the likelihood of the dog treating the incision site like a trampoline.

Well, friends, I'm praying for you (using your actual names too, because I think God can be trusted to keep your personal medical information confidential unlike me who would likely post it on my blog if I get sloppy).

3 comments:

Suzie said...

When I had my gall bladder removed, the doctor gave me a very large stone that they found in it. My eccentric aunt asked to keep it and I fully expect to receive a gall stone necklace one year as a Christmas gift.

Schmuzie

rthling said...

"negative 12 ounces"
LOL!

Emily said...

you're a hoot :)

no, they didn't let me keep the gall bladder. i don't think they even offered, but in my drug-induced after surgery brain, i couldn't be sure of that, I guess.

turns out gall bladder surgery takes longer to recover from than people told me, just in case you're curious.

and my dog is 5 whole pounds now, thank you :) And she does treat the incision site like a trampoline - ugh. but she's too cute for it to matter too much!